Wednesday, April 21, 2010

THE MUSEUM TOUR I SHALL REMEMBER TO FORGET!


eek..i HAVE BEEN ENJOYING being a docent but today was more than a challenge. i had a jumpy group of Beloit, Wi. fifth graders with two parent chaperons who have never been to MAM... i knew from the beginning that it would be "interesting" as i was FIRSTLY:
constantly interrupted during my introduction by talking and some pushing between students, cell phones out and snapping works while i watched the back of heads!.
i was patient and waited and then continued until

SECOND:the chaperon lifted her opened cell (cover page said "shit happens"!) over her head and bolted out of the gallery yelling "STEVE MARTIN...STEVE MARTIN"...
of course most of my group ran yelling after her...i caught them in time to see STEVE MARTIN wave politely at us and get away by turning into another gallery, with me finally getting between him and them.

after a short reminder about "people and STEVE MARTIN have the right to tour as did they", i suggested we move on to see and discuss other works of art.

THIRDLY:at the very next stop the group left me /ran /snuck away looking for STEVE MARTIN....

patient...I gathered the students AGAIN and we got on the elevator, door closed, where i told them what we would see on another floor but only if they could follow me and use good museum manners that were reviewed at the beginning of all tours.

Fourthly: as we exited the elevator turning right a student saw STEVE MARTIN behind us in a far left gallery... again yelling many students, cells raised, run towards him...

how I stopped them I do not know..maybe because a few students really also wanted a tour and stayed with me and called to the others to stop running and return to the small group waiting right out side the elevator!!

true to my word "if we were a disturbance to others in the museum the tour would end"...and it did.

i hope STEVE MARTIN doesn't think badly of student conduct.

i do!

but he did look dapper in dark suit and hat!!

1 comment:

Jeffrey said...

Trust me... having seen "The Jerk" and "Parenthood" many times, I think Steve Martin knows all about poorly behaved kids!

:D