Friday, October 9, 2009

I am thrilled to share my upcoming commitment


I want to share with you where I will be volunteering in November. I will be staying at Hodayot (Hebrew: הוֹדָיוֹת‎), a religious boys school and youth village in the Lower Galilee, Israel, founded in May 1950.
The village is situated on the early site of kibbutz Lavi, which moved half a kilometer eastward. Hodayot means "thanksgiving" in Hebrew. Hodayot Youth Village is also near the Sea of Galilee. The youth village belongs to the national-religious stream and was established 1950. It has 211 students (boys and girls), most of them of Ethiopian origin, a few from the former Soviet Union and some native born.

The name came from the Thanksgiving Scroll or Hodayot was one of the first seven Dead Sea Scrolls discovered in 1947 by the Bedouin. The scroll gets its name from the recurring use of the phrase “I thank you” in many of the poems.

AI am with other volunteers for what is called Face To Face , and is part of a Partnership program between Israel.
Milwaukee • St. Paul • Tulsa • Soviet Kinneret: It is called the Living Bridges in the Jewish Future .

To make this trip one of a lifetime...I am then going on to Paris!
For someone who never gotten on a plane along, it will be a challenge to do 8 boarding and deboardings and boarding..you get the picture to get me to Newark,Israel,Paris, Israel, and then Newark and finally home..will be my greatest challenge.
Or is my challenge packing for this month long adventure!

No comments: